Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page serves as a curated list of quotes that have been featured as the Occult Encyclopedia's Featured Quote section on the main page.
- "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law."
- "Intolerance is evidence of impotence."
- "Paganism is wholesome because it faces the facts of life."
- "In the absence of willpower the most complete collection of virtues and talents is wholly worthless."
- "Ordinary morality is only for ordinary people."
- "I was asked to memorise what I did not understand; and, my memory being so good, it refused to be insulted in that manner."
- "The ordinary man looking at a mountain is like an illiterate person confronted with a Greek manuscript."
- "Falsehood is invariably the child of fear in one form or another."
- "I can imagine myself on my death-bed, spent utterly with lust to touch the next world, like a boy asking for his first kiss from a woman."
- "Science is always discovering odd scraps of magical wisdom and making a tremendous fuss about its cleverness."
- "Who does not understand should either learn, or be silent."
- "The message is that all things are connected."
- "Magick is the art of causing changes in consciousness to occur in accordance with the will."
- "What you contemplate, you touch. What you enter into in imagination, you make yourself one with."
- "We live in the midst of invisible forces whose effects alone we perceive."
- "A religion without a goddess is halfway to atheism."
Anton Szandor LaVey
- "Don't waste your time with people who will ultimately destroy you."
- "Up is down, pleasure is pain, darkness is light, slavery is freedom, madness is sanity."
- "The Atheist complains about the wind. The Christian prays for it to change. The Satanist adjusts his sails."
- "If you're going to be a sinner, be the best sinner on the block."
Samuel L. MacGregor Mathers
- "For the opinion of the ordinary literary critic who neither understands nor believes in Occultism, I care nothing."
- "Only in the irrational and unknown direction can we come to wisdom again."
- "Remember that the Tarot is a great and sacred arcanum. Its abuse is an obscenity in the inner and a follow in the outer."
- "Freedom is a dangerous thing, but it is hardly possible that we are all cowards."
- "Within every man and woman is a force that directs and controls the entire course of life."
- "Mysticism is the means to a new universal life, richer, greater, and more full of resource than ever before."
- "I know of nothing within the Order documentary that even hints at the kind of visionary and spiritual experience that Crowley managed to get out of it."
Arthur Edward Waite
- "The true Tarot is symbolism; it speaks no other language and offers no other signs."
- "Behind man is the Tree of Life, beating twelve fruits, and the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil is behind the woman."
- "Out of evil comes good."
- "We have now seen that there is no particle of evidence for the Egyptian origin of Tarot cards."
- "None of us consider ourselves witches. We ARE witches."
- "It would be immodest of me to say I am one of the world's greatest astrologers, but why shouldn't I say I am."
- "No one wants a witch's body."
- "I'm not anti-religion, I'm anti-hypocrisy."
- "If you're a witch, be a good witch."
Joan of Arc
- "Alas! that my body, clean and whole, never been corrupted, today must be consumed and burnt to ashes!"
- "Even though I saw the executioner and the fire, I could not say anything but what I have said."
- "Go forward bravely. Fear nothing. Trust in God; all will be well."
- "All battles are first won or lost, in the mind."
- "Shadows cannot see themselves in the mirror of the sun."
- "Time is my greatest enemy."
- "I have one thing that counts, and that is my heart; it burns in my soul, it aches in my flesh, and it ignites my nerves."
- "Since man cannot live without miracles, he will provide himself with miracles of his own making. He will believe in witchcraft and sorcery, even though he may otherwise be a heretic, an atheist, and a rebel." ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky
- "I think that all women are witches, in the sense that a witch is a magical being. And a wizard, which is a male version of a witch, is kind of revered, and people respect wizards. But a witch, my god, we have to burn them." ~ Yoko Ono